Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Name change?

Hello chicks and friends!

Happy new 2011.... and wishing all new soaring heights for the new year!

This is an administrative kind of post, inspired by random discussions and reactions about our flog. We are about to become 1-year-old, so this is good time for introspection before the birthday ... For those who don't know, our readership extends way beyond local, which is actually a bit surprising, since the flog is not searchable or linked to anything on the web!

This story was never posted here, but papirtiger (or helmet girl) and I started this as the 21-century alternative to the ever elusive log book, accidentally on February 21. We wanted to share our own learning with ourselves, slowly add other students until this becomes a resource for lessons, our memories, stories, pictures, you get it. Student flying log. Now the name - if you have not figured that out yet - is a joke (I forget who came up with it, but helmet girl knows), played on the fact that our grand and small flying community club has the highest number of women pilots, compared to any other establishment that we are aware of. It didn't mean that our authors are all women, just kiddinngggg! While jokes are healthy, it is possible that the name might discourage others to join and write. That would defeat the original purpose - have students post and share experiences. 

I propose we discuss this in a democratic way - post comments if you care, and by all means, vote! Poll posted, voting ends on our birthday :-o)

Clear skies to all,

yours - cookie girl

3 comments:

  1. Possible new names:
    Kids with Gliders
    Will Thermal for Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do appreciate the name and what it stands for, it was meant to be a -student- flying log, so if changing the name means more students will want to post their stories of learning how to fly, then now would be the time to do just that.

    I was thinking I'd throw in a vote for either of the suggestions posted above, but I'd say they're both pretty fitting for the berkeley club students, so it was too hard to choose. I vote for opening up another poll after this one with all name-suggestions that have come in to make the selection of a new one all proper and democratic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's exactly what we were thinking ... a poll for names ... cool.
    so far the winning opinions are: 1/add the new students; 2/ change the name. ok, adding it!

    ReplyDelete