Saturday, February 5, 2011

1750' - Flight #1 - Woot!

Flight 20 something all told. But those were in a panty a long time ago. :)

Saturday, January 22 - a gaggle of us went down to EL and it was blowing over the back pretty strongly. We decided the 600' seemed reasonable, but upon setting up in incredibly switchy conditions, and attempting to turn my glider such that I could pre-flight it with the tail a quarter into the wind, the wind had switched yet again. My glider decided it wanted to fly a bit before I was geared up and hooked in. Brian raced over to help and neutralize it, whilst his pilotless glider decided to make a run for it. I raced over to rescue that one and straight out of a movie, Anthony appears on the horizon running to our aid. Brilliant. I broke down as quickly as I could. Brian followed shortly thereafter. Fast forward to Sunday.

Sunday, January 23 - wasn't sure I wanted a repeat of Saturday so was torn between going to a cafe to get my requisite mocha and work, or get my requisite mocha and head to EL. While in line at the cafe I looked outside and it was such a beautiful day...and it was the weekend...and why should I be working anyway?? I quickly decided to make the trek to EL and wasn't disappointed. Chris Valley sponsored me off the top, as he was there in preparation for the upcoming speed gliding event, and Daniel and Anthony joined as well.

We arrived at the top and I quickly set up as the winds were perfect. W at 3-4mph. Went over to launch and ironically had a hard time picking a target as everything was so vast and I was so high (ha!). Finally settled on something way off in the distance and off I went. Uneventful launch although I should have pulled in a bit more - watch your pitch! Satisfying to not have to immediately think about my landing approach while I cruised along the ridge with light bumps here and there, enjoyed watching the red tails and turkey vultures, and fought the irresistible urge to turn every time I felt the least bit of lift (must follow flight plan).

Landing approach was fine, winds minimal (W 1-3mph), pulled in, landed just past the hang 4 spot on my feet, by the ditch. Karl provided celebratory wine which we all enjoyed in the LZ. Big grin on face.

Flight Log:
1 flight off 1750'

No comments:

Post a Comment