Wednesday, October 19, 2011

AMS-SFO-DalyCity-Funston

Subtitle: She who thinks hard does not fly.
Subsubtitle: Karen went to Westlake again.

Ok, birdbones may hold the record for the shortest time between a hang gliding flight and high altitude cross-country, think trans-Atlantic flight, but I have a new one for you. I thought that after an 11 hour flight from Europe, I'm going to take the Bart, stop at Trader Joe's, grab food and then go take a nap. I did all that. I took the Bart to Daly city, went to the local Trader Joe's in the Westlake mall, and took a nap on a bench at Fort Funston, my head promptly on my harness. All thanks to cleanpants and Karen, who left a message on my phone, that Funston is in the cards today. Ah it was. But we didn't play the cards right.

Early on, it was north-cross, with a shear setting up, white caps here and there, gusty. No good, even if you didn't wake up on a another continent this morning. Karen scored a tandem (twice!), which involved a wet landing (ask her!) and going to Westlake for a nice long voyage ... And she was the only one who took to the air today. About 4 pm the wind straightened and softened up, and cleanpants and I walked back and forth, wondering. Should I, or should I not? I thought too hard ... I didn't fly. Another ground school day ... met some folks, got everyone's 2 cents on rotor, angles, approaches, beaching it and rolling paper. 

Flight time: 10 hrs 30 mins but it doesn't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment