Monday, September 5, 2011

Copy of my report for best Hull flights this summer

Anthony, Karen, Leon, Caely, Myself, Angela, and Gleb (yes, 4 pilots, 3 drivers,which sounds crazy) took two cars to Hull saturday morning. We met an older pilot, Joel, on timberline (and offered to drive down his car, given our smorgasbord of drivers on this trip). The winds were rather southy with even some total shit cycles over the back, and none of us were particularly enthused, but some goo cycle started up the hill around 2. Leon launched first and got thrashed by some dirty air around launch before heading to the house; after seeing this we nearly decided to tear down, but upon seeing him then thermal up above the peak while telling us how nice the air had gotten, we decided to launch as well. I launched followed by Gleb, then Anthony and Joel in some order. Gleb and I got flushed but we made the lake LZ easily as everything near the airstrip was very bouyant. Anthony and Joel thermalled for some time (anthony on his new U2, joel on his sport 2) before landing at the Lake. Leon landed last after getting a personal record flight for Hull (something above 9k.) Great job for the wind dummy! ;) 


The next day we found ourselves at timberline around 12 with most winds blowing south with even some east component, and decided to head for the top. I radio'd on the sonoma wings frequency and found mike kunitani and John in the lake LZ, and told them we had an extra driver if they drove up, but also of our plans for upper. We went to the south launch at upper (which goes straight into rattlesnake canyon) and the cycles were pretty constant, blowing up the launch at about 15 mph. Mike and John soon joined us and agreed that this was the correct launch to use (the large one at the turn in the road, not the one next to the SW launch at the very very top, which had dirty air). John launched and got over the peak immediately. I launched next, followed by the rest in some order. We proceeded to all have record flights, with Gleb getting the award for highest out of our group at making 11.7k; Leon and I found ourselves around 11.5k, under a cloud base of about 12k. I likely would have stayed longer but, upon realizing that my fingers were saying something between "ouch", "cold", and "I cant feel anything" (wearing no gloves, yay me), I decided to stuff the bar and head for the lake LZ, regaining feeling at about the red spot. Anthony also made 5 digits, easily breaking 10 and playing with VG some. None of us tried to tag sanhedrin; Mike kunitani did a couple times but said nothing was really happening there so this was probably wise. Again, all cars were driven down, although one had to go back for some camp equipment (we were going to have a group staying for monday but we decided that we had all gotten the flights we had wanted; I had no choice to stay as I had to be back here today). We stopped for mexican at super taco in ukiah before heading home. An excellent Hull trip, if I do say so myself.....hopefully Owens is treating everyone nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Also, notable is that after saturday, Gleb looked through a bit of one of Pagan's hang gliding instruction books on thermalling and said it really helped on sunday........just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete