Saturday, December 4, 2010

First Soaring Flight

A posse headed to Ed Levin today to train (Lise, Jeremy, Karen, Keenan, Josh, Andrea, and Max) with Barry and Kurtis instructing. Today was a particularly spectacular day as I had 3 firsts - launching the East launch, flying in really unstable air, and getting to soar for a short bit (only an extended sledder, but hey, I'll take it!). My camera battery was charged and I got a few fun pics: my sweet looking falcon, Fall, and the gang.

1st flight: East launch, 8-10mph E/SE. Took 2 steps and was in the air, but upon video review it looks like I was at trim on takeoff. I was told to pull it in a bit and take those 2 extra steps off the hill which is sage advice as you don't want to be anywhere near a stall on launch. The flight itself was exciting as the air was very active and I was bumped around a lot, but I kept saying "wee!" which I thought was a good thing. I headed out straight, then a short 45 right turn to get away from the hill and as I came around in front of the 600' was pleased to see that I was slightly above launch and headed for the dead tree hill just past the 300'. I wanted to make sure that on approach I was well clear of the Eucalyptus as there would most likely be some rotor due to South conditions and I wanted to be in the cleanest air possible. I did a couple figure eight turns to lose some altitude and came onto final in a left turn on both uprights. To me it didn't feel like enough speed, but in looking at the video the speed was fine. What was not fine was rounding out too low and not being upright to land on my feet. Brought the glider over to the breakdown area and quickly put it away as it began to sprinkle and rain.

2nd flight: What a difference a few hours can make. South launch, 5-7mph S/SW. 45 cross wind launch and up I went. Turned to the right above the 600' and headed over to the dead little tree to see what was happening there. Lifty! Ooh-yay! Did a few passes back and forth and came in from the South, 1 up 1 down to have more speed, leveled out, and landed on my feet just to the right of the spot. Big grin on my face. :)

Flight Log:
2 flights off the 600'.








No comments:

Post a Comment