Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dunlap, round three

Or, when Hang 2's soar

A big crew headed out to Dunlap for Memorial Day weekend. Second time there for cookiegirl and me; third for cleanpants. After a bit of coordinating Friday, three cars headed out with 8 pilots, one instructor's very patient wife and their two kids. Three more pilots arrived Saturday.

Conditions were sweet all weekend. Four pilots went up for an early run around 1030 Saturday morning, myself included, as this was only my second flight at Dunlap. I launched third expecting a buoyant sledder and instead had my first and longest (and amazing!) soaring flight. I got a couple of bumps along the ridge on my way out and headed for last chance ridge, already starting to think about an approach. Much to my surprise, I was going up the whole way out! I made a few passes back and forth in front of the ridge before feeling high enough to start turning and then spent about 20 minutes playing around. It was exhilarating - hard to describe - to know that I was up and could stay up. It was pretty smooth lift, not too strong, and I didn't quite make it back to launch height. For as long as the sky was working though, it was where I wanted to be.

My arms were growing a little tired and I wanted to make sure I was ready to make a good approach, so I gave the ridge a few last turns and headed over to the LZ. A few more turns to put me at the right altitude, a left handed box, and a slightly off flare put me (and a wingtip..) on the ground and a big grin on my face. 35 minutes overall, we think..

Cookiegirl and cleanpants managed to squeeze in three flights each on Saturday, since they were ready to go back up as soon as I landed from my first flight. I got one more in later Saturday. I was eager for more of my morning's flight, and I think I got pretty close to a half hour. Cookiegirl shared the pattern with another glider on one flight, which was a little exciting, but he made a quick turn and dive while she went up the runway. It all worked out, but her tights did get a little grassy - since she was flying in a miniskirt. We agreed that sharing the air will become more manageable as we progress.

S'mores and wine by the fire Saturday night, and one flight for everyone on Sunday. All workable lift, and the more experienced pilots stayed up for a few hours.

It's soaring season!

Log: boy wonder (3 flights, 40 mins! first soaring flight!); cleanpants (4 flights); cookie girl (4 flights, first miniskirt flying; and first traffic experience); Mike L aka karaoke star (2 flights, 1st mountain flight!, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygwCpDhAwik); thomas (4 flights, most soarable)


No comments:

Post a Comment