To the training hill that is. After a month of no 600 flights, "my parachute opened" (well no no no, not that way) today. Forecast was light, S at 7 mph turning to W at 10 mph, sunny. Cleanpants took off first, and set the first flight, for a cloudy, west, slightly cross (WNW) launch, at maybe 7 mph. First 600' flight in new harness worked out fine! My flight was fairly uneventful too, I stayed on top of the road, and came back all the way to the steps for the final approach.
Then it got interesting. The clouds lifted and sock started dancing from east to west, albeit not too strongly. Cleanpants had a nice flight, but wind changed on him on final, and he landed (beautifully) 90 degrees cross.
By the time I was at the west launch, the wind died and started looking slightly south. That made us change our mind and try the mid-launch, which was showing signs of wind rolling up. LZ and 300' socks lined up south, great. Another 30 seconds to hang check again. Wind sock behind us still good, wind in face still good. The LZ and 300' socks though started to veer west. This is when I launched. Technically my launch spot showed all good signs for a good launch, but as soon as I launched that west wind arrived and blew me east ... In my mind bumping while still going slow and close to the hill equals rotating, flipping and who knows what - so I kept up with the glider and launched east. Recovered. But picked the wrong launch spot. Lesson down. From there on I closed back on the ridge to the 300' and started going up, bumped around like a feather. For most of the flight I tried creative tricks to lose altitude. Playing with the bar, yanking the bar, eventually I kicked out to add some drag. It felt as if I kept doing turns on the hill, I'd get out of the park .... Kicking out worked. Sock was still west, so that eventful flight had a peaceful end....
Log:
Cleanpants - first 2 flights from 600' in new harness
cookie girl - 600' flights 6 and 7
That's right! That east sock is changing any minute now ...
No comments:
Post a Comment